One of our most popular activities is climbing. Almost every camper in camp will spend time climbing or rappelling on our one of a kind 67 foot high, 43 foot around leadable wall. It is full of features such as horizontal and vertical traverses, bouldering problems, a 67 foot off-width vertical crack route and much much more!
If you are interested in helping children gain self-confidence by learning how to climb while enjoying the outdoors, a summer at Birch Trail is for you! All staff members have the opportunity to use the camp facilities and enjoy all that camp has to offer. Our staff members regularly describe their experiences working at Birch Trail as “the summer of a lifetime.”
Job Responsibilities: As a team of 3, climbing staff members oversee the entire in-camp climbing program. Particular job responsibilities include:
• Managing all safety aspects of the climbing program;
• Supervising and training other staff on belaying techniques;
• Instructing campers on climbing skills;
• Providing encouragement and support to campers while they climb;
• Accompanying campers on three-day rock climbing trips led by a certified climbing outfitter;
• Working with others to set up the climbing wall at the beginning of the season;
• Providing basic maintenance of equipment;
• Assisting in other areas of the camp program when needed.
All staff members of Birch Trail Camp must be able to:
- Think clearly at all times.
- Work cooperatively with staff and campers.
- Exercise good judgment.
- Operate tools, equipment, vehicles, boats and appliances as applicable to job duties.
- Assist staff and campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, injury or natural disaster).
- Maintain supervision of assigned area(s) while on duty.
- Possess the mental, visual and auditory ability to respond to environmental hazards and internal and external threats to the camp community.
Preferred Experience: We are looking for fun, enthusiastic applicants who understand the value and challenge in learning how to climb. All applicants should have an interest in working with children and experience climbing, preferably both on a wall and in the outdoors. Ideal applicants will also have experience in lead climbing, setting up top rope climbs, and wall set-up and safety. All staff members are required to be CPR certified.
Compensation: Birch Trail staff must be available from June 1st – August 12th, 2023, which includes a 2- day climbing instructor class. Salaries are very competitive with other camps and based on the individual applicant’s experience. Compensation packages include room & board plus a tax-free travel stipend. Additional salary bonuses are available for certain certifications and for additional weeks worked either before or after the camping season.
How to Apply: Both men and women who are at least 18 years old are encouraged to apply. For more information about Birch Trail and to find an online application, please visit www.birchtrail.com. Applications, letters of interest, and/or resumes can also be faxed or emailed to the winter office. If you have additional questions, please email [email protected] or call the winter office.