One of our most popular activities is climbing. Almost every camper in camp will spend time climbing or rappelling on our one of a kind 67 foot high, 43 foot around leadable wall. It is full of features such as horizontal and vertical traverses, bouldering problems, a 67 foot off-width vertical crack route and much much more!
If you are interested in helping children gain self-confidence by learning how to climb while enjoying the outdoors, a summer at Birch Trail is for you! All staff members have the opportunity to use the camp facilities and enjoy all that camp has to offer. Our staff members regularly describe their experiences working at Birch Trail as “the summer of a lifetime.”
Job Responsibilities: As a team of 3, climbing staff members oversee the entire in-camp climbing program. Particular job responsibilities include:
• Managing all safety aspects of the climbing program;
• Supervising and training other staff on belaying techniques;
• Instructing campers on climbing skills;
• Providing encouragement and support to campers while they climb;
• Accompanying campers on three-day rock climbing trips led by a certified climbing outfitter;
• Working with others to set up the climbing wall at the beginning of the season;
• Providing basic maintenance of equipment;
• Assisting in other areas of the camp program when needed.