Excursions Program Supervisor
2021 Update Regarding Covid19 - Covid19 remains an ongoing public health crisis across the United States. Christodora is committed to running as safe and healthy a program as possible given the precautions and protocols that must be enacted at MEC to slow the spread of this respiratory disease that can lead to illness and death. To that end, MEC still seeks interested candidates to join its community in 2021 as we await - like all overnight camps in Massachusetts - final guidance from MA DPH regarding a possible return to overnight camp operations in Summer 2021. At this time, MEC will not be running Spring and Fall field trips for NYC public schools in 2021.
Join our Diverse Team: May 17 – Sept 4, 2021
The Excursions Program Supervisor (Supervisor) leads the creation of a safe, healthy, and fun outdoor adventure programming for middle- and high-school students from NYC, working to sequentially tailor excursions by age, maturity, and ability. Backpacking and canoeing outings may range from 1-3 days on MEC property and neighboring state lands. The Supervisor will:
- Review existing trip itineraries, update risk management planning, scout trails and rivers for changes in conditions, renew and attain required land-use permits, and develop new trips as needed.
- Continue to foster and maintain strong working relationships with land-owners and partners who contribute to the success of our excursions
- Review and continue to improve the existing training program to effectively prepare a range of first-year to seasoned outdoor leaders
- Provide positive mentorship and lead a feedback-oriented culture that focuses on growth, support, and goal accountability for outdoor leaders
- Provide ongoing support for excursions and MEC activities by being on-call for emergencies and trip support, supervise camp in the absence of the Director/Assistant Director, and help to manage the infirmary
- Supervise the equipment room alongside four Teaching Assistants (TAs) who are high school students who previously participated in Christodora programs
- Mentor the growth of TAs in their backcountry and teaching skills/knowledge
- Transport students to and from excursions and occasionally assist with participants traveling to and from NYC
- Provide regular updates to the MEC Director/Assistant Director about the status and needs of the excursions and provide administrative support for MEC programs
- Adventurous spirit, willingness to learn, passion for the outdoors, and enjoy connecting with urban youth.
- Experience as an outdoor leader for backpacking and canoeing expeditions in a wilderness context with youth.
- Wilderness First Responder, CPR, Waterfront Lifeguard Certification or ability to obtain. (Wilderness First Aid (can be used as a WFR Recertification Course), CPR, and Waterfront Lifeguarding courses are provided at MEC in June)
- BA/BS in outdoor leadership, adventure recreation, or related discipline
- Valid Drivers License
- Background clearances and medical physical required. Initial drug screening may be required.
- Outdoor leadership and/or wilderness navigation certifications.
- Wilderness First Responder
- Competitive weekly salary DOE
- Room and board at MEC during employment
- Outdoor equipment discounts
This position remains open until filled. Please send a resume and detailed cover letter to [email protected] with only “MEC Excursions Supervisor” as the subject of the email. Feel free to include links to outdoor leadership, education, development, and/or adventure portfolios. Three professional references may be requested following an initial interview.
Christodora is committed to making a difference within a culturally diverse educational environment, and applicants are encouraged to include how they will further this goal in their application materials. Please do not call. You may also mail a resume and cover letter to: Brett Billings, Manice Education Center, 68 Savoy Road, Florida, MA 01247.
Christodora is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and/or any other characteristic protected by law.