Hiking and Outdoor Adventure Program Instructor
Emma Kaufmann Camp is located along Cheat Lake in Morgantown WV. Owned and operated by the Jewish Community Center of Greater Pittsburgh, EKC is a co-ed residential camp with an emphasis on teambuilding, developing positive values, independence, premiere programming and activities. This child-centered environment includes campers ages 7-16. As a staff member at EKC, you will enjoy the opportunity for personal growth and develop friendships that will last a lifetime. Visit our website at https://emmakaufmanncamp.com/work-at-camp .
Why Work at EKC?
- Make a difference in lives of children
- Opportunity to work outdoors and in nature
- Network with amazing people from all around the world
- Dynamic staff culture with social activities in and out of camp
- Develop 21st century skills that employers are currently seeking such as communication,
leadership, problem solving, critical thinking, collaboration, creativity, and work ethic
- Competitive salary and EKC will pay for any certifications or re-certifications required
- Opportunity for students to complete Internship credit
- Housing and three meals a day provided for those who live on site
- Have an awesome summer!
Emma Kaufmann Camp is open and accessible to everyone, regardless of age, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or special need by welcoming individuals of all backgrounds, embracing their uniqueness and diversity under our communal tent.
EKC’s outdoor education program includes overnight camping trips, hikes and mountain biking in some of West Virginia, Ohio and Pennsylvania’s most scenic camp sites such as Raven’s Rock, Blackwater Falls, Seneca Rock, Spruce Knob, Dolly Sods and more. Campers learn critical outdoor survival skills such as shelter building, fire building, navigation, and outdoor cooking. Campers will have the opportunity to gain self-confidence, push their limits, and build communities, all at their own pace in a nurturing and supportive environment.
Please contact Brooks Weaver at 412-697-3513 or [email protected] for more information
- Creativity, energy and enthusiasm
- Ability to accept supervision and guidance & function both independently and as part of a team
- Knowledge and experience working with children in an outdoor setting
- Strong programmatic and teaching experience in the areas of nature and outdoor education, outdoor survival skills and camping
- Climbing, repelling and belaying skills are a plus.
- Must pass Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance & State Police Criminal Record Check
- Complete your job as per the guidelines set forth in the EKC Staff Manual and Camp Safety Plan.
- Alert your supervisor to any problems in the outdoor education program area and communicate with him/her daily.
- Follow and adhere to all procedures and guidelines in association with the American Camping Association.
- Actively participate in staff training week.
- Attend and actively participate in staff orientation, staff training, specialist meetings, and all-camp meetings.
Program Specific Responsibilities
- Teaching children how to try new things and challenge themselves in a team building atmosphere
- Teaching basic outdoor survival skills such as hiking, fire building, camping skills, outdoor cooking and wildlife ecology.
- Assist in organize and leading camp outs both onsite and out of camp for ages 7-16.
- Accountability for the health, safety and whereabouts of all campers in program area.
- Develop well-rounded, exciting and age-appropriate activities for campers.
- Create weekly lesson plans by age and by unit for activities in your outdoor education program area.
- Act as role model and teacher and offer guidance & support to all campers.
- Participate in the daily camp routines. Actively participate in evening programs, all camp programs and special events.
- Ensure safe operation, security and maintenance of all equipment and supplies in program area.
- Responsible for guiding specialists to mentor and train Staff-in-Training (SITs) assigned to specialty area.
Please contact Brooks Weaver, EKC Assistant Director at 412-697-3513 or [email protected] for more information