Logistics Coordinator - Central Florida
Reports To: Logistics Manager
FLSA Status: Seasonal Exempt
Location: Scottsmoor Base Camp, Mims, Florida
Length: May 2020 - October 2020 (future contracts to run November-April)
The Logistics Coordinator 1 position is an entry level support role. The Logistics Coordinator works under the direct supervision of the Assistant Logistics Manager (ALM) and Logistics Manager (LM) to ensure that the logistical needs of field programs and base camp facilities are met. The role of Logistics Coordinator requires an individual that is hardworking, flexible, committed to excellent customer service, and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Additionally, the position calls for someone who will work proactively to address the needs of the program, is comfortable working within a routine, and who completes scheduled tasks in a timely manner. This is a great position for someone interested in working in wilderness programming as you built your skill set to be a wilderness instructor.
- Hiring is completed on a rolling basis. Positions will remain open until filled.
- There are multiple contract time-frames available. Contracts begin in May and run through October or begin in November and run through April. Additional summer-specific contracts will run May-August. Contract availability will be discussed during the hiring process.
- Mandatory training occurs in May, regardless of contract.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports the delivery of Outward Bound mission and educational framework.
- Creates and upholds facilities organization, efficient operation, and cleanliness.
- Coordinates the issue, de-issue, and maintenance of the regional outdoor equipment. Includes clean up, repair, laundry, and inventory.
- Maintains map, medical, and expendable inventory.
- Handles all logistical details, preparations, and support for several courses in the field at once.
- Picks up and transports crews between locations in the beginning, middle, and end of course.
- Oversees weekly vehicle checks, maintenance, and communication regarding necessary repairs.
- Participates in the logistics coordinator on-call system.
- Responds to field emergencies.
- Demonstrates the ability to behave as a role model for students.
- Manages a range of student behaviors in a positive manner.
- Adheres to all local operating procedures, safety policies, and emergency procedures outlined in the Field Staff Manual and Employee Handbook.
- Provides clear, effective, and timely communication with Instructors, Course Directors, and other staff.
- Consistently strives to openly share and receive feedback with/from co-workers and supervisors.
- Articulates and role models Outward Bound’s mission, history, and values.
- Commits to professional growth, including improving technical and interpersonal skills.
- Provides direct support to courses as needed, including solo support, student removals, and Intercept transition weekends.
- May oversees food-related aspects of programming, including ordering and packing out food for courses and trainings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum age – 21 years old.
- Personal and professional values consistent with the NCOBS mission, values, and principles.
- Valid Driver’s License held for a minimum of three years with a clean driving record/background check for five years.
- Able to pass all required background screening.
- Solid organizational skills.
- Strong personal initiative, motivation, and resourcefulness.
- Cooperative, positive attitude, and ability to be flexible.
- Able to drive program vehicles. (15-passenger vans with trailers)
- Able to participate in all base activities. Able to lift 60 pounds.
- Able to give and receive timely, effective oral and written feedback.
- Experience with and working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel preferred.
- Minimum first aid and CPR certification; Wilderness First Responder preferred but not required.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Starting pay is $58/day with room for growth. (Range: $58-$70 /day)
- Previous experience awarded with commensurate pay.
- Room and board provided.
- Eligible for pro-deal purchasing program.
- Ability to attend professional development trainings for rock climbing, white-water canoeing, flat-water canoeing, and student management at no cost.
- Valuable experience and understanding of the organization that can help one transition into an instructor role in subsequent years.
- The Scottsmoor base camp is comprised of several permanent and temporary buildings that support the operations of the school. The base camp is approximately 20 minutes from the nearest town and located along the Inter Coastal Waterway in Scottsmoor, Florida.
- Staff are assigned a spot in a staff house, similar to dorm-style housing. The staff house has direct water access to the Intracoastal Waterway. Laundry, showers, and internet are available for staff use.
- A weekly food stipend is provided when working. Staff are expected to buy their own groceries and prepare their own meals.
We are looking to hire 3-5 logistics coordinators for the summer of 2020. Contract extensions are available from Nov-May after review of your performance.