Logistics Coordinator - North Carolina Mountains
Reports To: Logistics Manager
FLSA Status: Seasonal Exempt
Location : Table Rock Base Camp and Cedar Rock Base Camp
Length: May – September 2017 (potential for extension and promotion in future seasons)
The Logistics Coordinator is an entry level support role based in either North Carolina Mountains basecamps (Jonas Ridge, NC / Brevard, NC) or Outer Banks basecamp (Outer Banks, NC). The Logistics Coordinator works under the direct supervision of the Assistant Logistics Manager (ALM) and Logistics Manager (LM) to ensure that the logistical needs of field programs and basecamp facilities are met. The role of LC requires an individual that is hardworking, flexible, committed to excellent customer service and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously; work proactively to address the needs of the program; and complete routine, scheduled tasks in a timely manner.
- Hiring is completed on a rolling basis, starting in December. Positions will remain open until filled.
- Application Deadline is March 1, 2017
- Mandatory pre-employment training starts in Mid-May.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports the delivery of Outward Bound mission and educational framework
- Creates and upholds facilities organization, efficient operation and cleanliness.
- Coordinates the issue, de-issue, and maintenance of the regional outdoor equipment. Includes clean up, repair, laundry and inventory.
- Maintains map, medical and expendable inventory.
- Handles all logistical details, preparations, and support for several courses in the field at once.
- Pick up and transport crews between locations at the beginning, during, and end of course
- Oversees weekly vehicle checks and vehicle maintenance, and communicate needs for necessary repairs.
- Participates in the LC on-call system.
- Respond to field emergencies.
- Demonstrates the ability to behave as a role model for students, able to manage a range of student behaviors in a positive manner.
- Adheres to all local operating procedures, safety policies and emergency procedures outlined in the Field Staff Manual and Employee Handbook.
- Is able to provide clear, effective and timely communication with the Instructor, Course Director and other staff.
- Consistently strives to openly share and receive feedback with/from co-workers and supervisors.
- Ability to articulate and model Outward Bound mission, history and values.
- Commits to own professional growth as well as improving technical and interpersonal skills.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum age – 21 years old
- Minimum 1-year in a similar logistical support role
- Personal and professional values consistent with the NCOBS mission, values and principles.
- Knowledge of Outward Bound history, standards and programs.
- Valid Driver’s License and clean driving record/background check
- Solid organizational skills.
- Strong personal initiative, motivation and resourcefulness.
- Cooperative, positive attitude and ability to be flexible.
- Able to drive program vehicles on steep, rugged roads. (15-passenger vans with trailers)
- Able to participate in all base activities. Able to lift 75 pounds.
- Able to give and receive timely, effective oral and written feedback.
- Computer skills including Outlook, Word, Excel.
- Current WFR and CPR preferred but not required.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Starting pay is $55/day with room for growth
- Room and Board provided.
- Eligible for Pro Deals
- Ability to attend Professional Development trainings for Rock Climbing and White-water Canoeing
- Pisgah National Forest and Linville Gorge Wilderness Area is your backyard
The NC Mountains basecamps are comprised of several buildings including larger office and warehouse structures that support the operations for the school. Basecamps are 30-45 minutes from the nearest town.
Staff are assigned a spot in a staff cabin, similar to dorm-style housing.
Daily meals are provided when working. Lunch and Dinner is made each day by the Kitchen Manger. While all food is provided, staff are expected to make their own breakfast.
North Carolina Outward Bound School prohibits discrimination against, and harassment of, any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, age, religion, sex, gender, pregnancy, genetic information, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, military or veteran status, qualified individuals with a disability on the basis of the disability, or any other category which may be protected under applicable local, state or federal law. NCOBS promotes respect for all people, and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or expression .