2021 Update Regarding Covid19 - Covid19 remains an ongoing public health crisis across the United States. Christodora is committed to running as safe and healthy a program as possible given the precautions and protocols that must be enacted at MEC to slow the spread of this respiratory disease that can lead to illness and death. To that end, MEC still seeks interested candidates to join its community in 2021 as we await - like all overnight camps in Massachusetts - final guidance from MA DPH regarding a possible return to overnight camp operations in Summer 2021. At this time, MEC will not be running Spring and Fall field trips for NYC public schools in 2021.
Join our Diverse Team: June 7 – Aug 21/Sept 4, 2021
Summer Training Opportunities
- SOLO Wilderness First Aid (WFA), CPR, Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding, professional tandem canoe skill clinic, and overnight backpacking and camping skills
- All educators receive hands-on training in the delivery of an experientially driven curriculum, low-element challenge course facilitation, and ongoing professional development as an outdoor and environmental educator in a program using cutting edge techniques in youth development
- Facilitate low-element challenge course activities designed for teamwork, communication, leadership skills, trust, and social development outcomes
- Inspire curiosity about the natural world through discovery-based activities in forested ecosystems. Use our testing equipment and interact with live exhibits in our science lab
- Introduce gardening, composting and small-scale farming with small flock of chickens
- Learn and teach wilderness survival skills including primitive fire making, shelter building, and foraging for wild edibles
- Lead nighttime hikes to see the stars and the magic of bioluminescence
- Work closely with other educators in your “activity group” to create meaningful, problem-based, experiential, and active environmental science lessons
- Overnight supervision of four to five youth in canvas-walled, cabin-style, platform tents
- Celebrate with skits, music, and s’mores at our campfire program - rain or shine in a gazebo surrounded by forest - that can seat the entire campus
- Mentor Outdoor Educator Assistants as part of a small co-teaching group working with eight to ten participants
Outdoor Educators in Spring/Fall School Programs facilitate three-day, school-chaperoned field trips at MEC for our partner NYC public schools. Staff work closely together in a supportive atmosphere and teach small, mixed-gender groups of 10-12 youth in a variety of outdoor settings. Each school trip engages in hikes to a summit with a view of four states, an 80-foot cascading waterfall, a unique bog ecosystem, and small farm.
Outdoor Educators in our Summer Programs lead environmental and expedition explorations in a range of camp sessions 10-21 days in length including: overnight wilderness excursions backpacking/canoeing for 1-3 days in length; lead youth in service projects to improve publicly used wilderness areas and trails; science explorations; and other camp-based programs.
**Outdoor Educators work as Outdoor Education Residential Camp Counselors
- Adventurous spirit, willingness to learn, passion for the outdoors, and enjoys connecting with urban youth.
- BA/BS in related discipline preferred. Significant professional experience considered.
- Background clearances and medical physical required. Initial drug screening may be required.
- Experience in outdoor education and leadership training in a camp or outdoor setting
- Experience working with urban school groups (field trip program only)
- Experience with wilderness navigation (summer only)
- Spanish/English bilingual a plus
- Valid driver’s license
- Competitive weekly salary
- Room and board at MEC during employment
- Outdoor equipment discounts
Please send a resume and detailed cover letter in the body of an email to [email protected] with only “MEC Outdoor Educator” as the subject of the message. Three professional references may be requested following an initial interview.
Christodora is committed to making a difference within a culturally diverse educational environment, and applicants are encouraged to include how they will further this goal in their application materials. Please do not call. You may also mail a resume and cover letter to: Brett Billings, Manice Education Center, 68 Savoy Road, Florida, MA 01247.
Christodora is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and/or any other characteristic protected by law.