Application Deadline: January 31, 2018 for positions starting March 4, 2018
We are currently accepting applications for 2018 positions.
Helping People Have Fun.
Outfitters work inside and play outside. They go hiking, climbing, biking and canyoneering to understand
Zion and all it has to offer. They love Zion. At work, they share their love and knowledge and help others
go to the amazing places they have been.
The Outfitting Staff of Zion Adventure Company forms the backbone of our business operations. Hundreds
of hikers, climbers, canyoneers, and general Park visitors stop by each day seeking assistance in making the
most of their time in Zion. It is our job, as an information source, to help them leave with an empowering
sense of direction. Our Outfitters are experts at helping visitors find the right equipment and information to
feel comfortable and knowledgeable in their adventures. Whether preparing visitors to hike the Zion
Narrows, answering questions about our guided trips, or maintaining the vast amounts of equipment we
send out each day, Outfitters perform the crucial tasks that help people make their Zion dreams come true.
Looking for a career opportunity?
We look for intelligent people who can solve problems quickly. We hire genuinely friendly people who
represent our business well and treat our customers with great care and attention. Background in the
outdoors is helpful, because it enables you to be more capable and knowledgeable about Zion National
Park: its hikes, canyons, and special places. If you are outgoing, a fast-learner, and willing to work hard for
a team with a lofty goal in mind, we want to meet you. We can teach you many skills, but you must come
to us with an excitement for learning and a readiness to absorb a great deal of knowledge. This is a fast-
paced business and can be demanding. Those who can demonstrate the ability to work well under
pressure, communicate effectively via phone and email, remember many important details, and remain
organized will succeed in this position.
- Age Requirements: Minimum of 18 years of age for Outfitter, 23 years of age if combining it with Assistant Guide or Trailhead Shuttle Driver
- Desire to help other people. Primarily, to help them have fun visits and be safe
- Desired Experience: Some familiarity with Word, Excel, and e-mail programs; comfortable with computers as productivity tools. ZAC works with Macintosh computers; familiarity with Macintosh is helpful.
- Desired Knowledge/Skills:
- A willingness to learn and teach
- Strong spoken and written communication skills
- An outstanding work ethic
- An ability to work in a team-oriented environment
- Commitment to serving others
- Strong attention to detail
- An engaging, outgoing personality
- Responsible and mature
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude
- Enjoys creating order in chaotic environments
- Ability to work and stay on-task with minimal supervision
- Ability to apply problem-solving skills
- Insightful, can foresee challenges and problems works to prevent them
- Sense of humor. Can make work fun and/or funny in positive ways
- Season: Ability to work one of the following date ranges: March 4th-November 26th; March 4th-October 31st; May 8th-October 31st. Contact us if you have date questions
- Full- and Part-time (seasonal and year-round) positions available with a minimum of 3 days per week
- Schedule: In the shop 4-5 days a week depending on season/amount of business. Also some outfitters also drive shuttles, which effects the shop schedule. Our aim is to create a regular work schedule for you where you have the same 2 consecutive days off.
- Compensation: Commensurate with skills, experience, and commitment
- Starting pay is $12 per hour. Staff may be eligible for performance-based raises
- Challenges: Busy season rushes of people all renting gear at the same time
- Year-round work: Winter work (Dec 1-Feb 28) is available for some of our Outfitters. Several stay on for the winter season to outfit part-time, work on seasonal projects, while mixing in a few weeks of vacation and travel.
- Combo Positions: Many Outfitters work combo positions where some of their regular work week is spent as a Trailhead Shuttle Driver or an Assistant Guide.
- Attending staff meetings outside the work day (approx. 1 per month)
- Facilitating meaningful, helpful, intelligent, and pleasant conversations with customers
- Managing product inventory on our retail floor
- Informing customers about retail products in the store
- Building an impressive knowledge base of the roads, hikes, canyons, and hidden secrets of Zion National Park and the surrounding area on personal time
- Offering expertise on local recreation opportunities and logistics
- Helping connect clients with guided trips and other Zion activities
- Solving problems with grace and efficiency
- Checking out customers at the cash register
- Checking in, cleaning, and repairing gear
- Booking guided trips and shuttle reservations
- Answering the phone and replying to e-mails
- Outfitting customers for the Narrows
- Answering visitor questions
This position requires a high level of responsibility and accountability. We strive to ensure all interactions with our customers are positive, fulfilling, and inspiring. We expect all staff to operate in a professional manner.
- Free use of company rental gear for personal recreation days
- Free tuition for all ZAC trips and courses
- Work with an incredible team connected individuals dedicated to a high quality of life for themselves and our guests. We want the same for you. Unlike cubicle neighbors, we get to know each other. Our staff want each other to be great, to pursue excellence in all we do, to support each other, be supported and deliver a high level of performance every day.
- Pro-purchase opportunities from most outdoor equipment manufacturers
- Live within the towering walls of Zion National Park
- A truly astounding clientele, from all ages, places, and walks of life