Overnight Camp Line Cook
This position is responsible for working as a member of the kitchen staff and assisting the Head Cook & Lead Cook to prepare meals, follow Covid-19 policies, and ensure that camper and staff dietary needs and restrictions are safely met in coordination with the Healthcare Manager.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- This role will come in contact with campers, families, visitors, vendors and employees. Each of these persons may have visible and invisible qualities that makes that person unique. This includes race, gender, age, sexuality, ability, religion, national origin, gender identity, and other identities. This role requires sustaining an inclusive and equitable learning and working environments by having respectful and considerate behavior, thoughtful and constructive speech to all.
- Assist in food preparation and serving for each meal including main course, sides, baking, making salads, preparing the serving area for each meal, and filling condiment dispensers.
- Support kitchen team with inventory, cleaning including implementation of Covid-19 policies, and other kitchen tasks as needed.
- Display excellent communication skills including presentation, persuasion, and negotiation skills required in working with coworkers, volunteers, families, and contractors; including the ability to communicate effectively and remain calm and courteous under pressure.
- Work with team to clean kitchen and food storage areas including but not limited to: wash counters, dishes, sweeps and mops kitchen floors, and other cleaning duties as needed.
- Unloads and stacks deliveries.
- Follows schedules set by Head Cook.
- Works with kitchen staff to prepare meals that will fuel both counselors and campers through a busy session.
- Communications effectively with a variety of ages.
- Applies knowledge of vegetarian, gluten free, and other special dietary needs to meal preparation.
- Travels primarily to Sandy, OR (Camp Namanu). Additional option to live on site during the summer camp season.
- Other duties as assigned.
Expectations for All Camp Staff:
- Abide and apply the personnel and program policies of the camp.
- Ensure and maintain the cleanliness of camp facilities, equipment, and grounds including Covid-19 safety protocols, weekly and end-of-summer cleaning and pack-up.
- Observe good health habits, including sufficient sleep, good hygiene, reasonable eating habits and cooperation with the Medical Staff and Camp Director in case of illness.
- Maintain punctual, regular and predictable attendance.
- Attend pre-camp training and regular on-site staff meetings throughout the summer
- Work collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation.
- Respectfully takes direction from supervisor.
- Support the mission, purpose and leadership of Camp Fire and projects a positive image of Camp Fire.
- Follow all safety guidelines including the completion of accident/incident reports as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
May supervise Kitchen Assistants in coordination with the Food Service Manager. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Open to receiving feedback and making on-going program adjustments.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, manages time and stress levels, and proactively solve problems.
- Culturally responsive with a passion for developing youth to achieve their full potential.
- Ability to implement a racial equity lens to dining setting.
- Ability to lead and motivate others.
- Ability to collaborate as part of a team.
- High level of professionalism, creativity, energy, organization, self-motivation, empathy, and patience.
- Maintain integrity by following through on responsibility and by accepting and abiding by decisions regarding program and policy in a positive manner.
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a positive attitude.
Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience in a commercial kitchen, camp kitchen or restaurant, and experience with menus, and managing inventory desired. Working knowledge of food safety principles.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Has advanced basic computer job skills including logging on to systems, ability to communicate by email, ability to compose documents, enter database information, create presentations, download forms, and preserve/backup important data.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
This position requires a valid Oregon Food Handler’s card, ServSafe certification, and First Aid & CPR certification.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. In compliance with covid-19 protocols, employees are asked to wear a face mask when not actively consuming food/beverage.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather);work near moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold (non-weather) and extreme heat (non-weather). The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Camp Fire welcomes and embraces all youth of diverse cultures, beliefs, experiences, and identities. We are committed to creating a culturally-responsive, inclusive, and safe environment for all children, families and staff.
Camp Fire Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, age, religion, color, gender, gender expression and identification, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or any other classification protected by law
This position begins 6/14 at 9am. There is a small amount of flexibility for staff who need to arrive at a slightly later date, but it is preferred that all staff are able to attend all of training. Once staff training begins, staff will live at camp for the summer, with one day off per week (Saturday). Pay rate is $100 per day and includes room and board. Last day on site for Kitchen Staff is 8/15/2021