Rock Climbing / Outdoor Activity Specialist
SOAR is an outdoor adventure program utilizing 10, 11, 15, and 18 day expedition style adventures for youth diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders and/or Learning Disabilities. Programs are coed, students are between the ages of 8 and 25 depending upon the course, and groups consist of 7-8 students with 2 staff. Course sites include Western North Carolina, the Florida Keys, and Wyoming. Activities include rock climbing, whitewater rafting, backpacking, orienteering, llama trekking, horse packing, mountain biking, caving, snorkeling, scuba diving, mountain biking, sea kayaking, and more.
Full time seasonal summer staff position as Activity Specialist in an outdoor setting.
Responsibilities: Work with groups of 7-8 students with 2 instructors to facilitate a safe and successful experience during the adventure activity portions of 10 to 18 day courses.
NC & WY:
- Set rock climb sites and act as site manager.
- Facilitate and manage high ropes course activities.
- Support whitewater rafting days.
- Support caving activities.
- Potentially lead mountain biking activities.
- Provide relief to instructor's in the field:
- Be fully involved with every aspect of group function, including roles, behavior management, etc.
- Be prepared to administer medications and ask for clarification if necessary
- Be prepared to sleep in close proximity to group to provide supervision
- Work with youth in-between courses.
- Assist with airport pick-ups and drop-offs.
- WY only – support flat-water canoeing and riflery
- Facilitate use of ocean water craft such as motor boats or jet skis (FL only).
- Facilitate water-based activities such as sea kayaking and snorkeling.
- Manage logistics for groups during and between courses including managing, repairing, and transporting group gear and purchasing of food during course.
- Provide relief to instructor's in the field.
Qualifications: Minimum 19 years of age (21 and older preferred); minimum 2 years college experience, preferably in Recreation Therapy, Outdoor Recreation, Education, or Psychology. First Aid and CPR required (minimum WFA). Lifeguard certification required for FL staff; Strong experience required in technical skills such as rock site facilitation and management, ropes course facilitation, white water rafting, caving, mountain biking, or ocean/water activities (FL only); Patience, energy, enthusiasm, flexibility, maturity, and integrity required. Use of personal vehicle required for NC & WY (vehicle stipend provided).
Expectations for the position include: Compliance with all policies and regulations of SOAR; understanding the personal needs of instructors are secondary to the emotional and physical well being of our clients; utilizing behavior management techniques consistent with the program philosophy at SOAR; acting in a professional manner at all times to promote SOAR and the profession; developing an appropriate setting in which the student may learn from example; and understanding the care of students in a 24 hour setting. Expectations also include being able to fulfill the physically demanding requirements of the position including but not limited to: being able to hike with a backpack weighing 25-40 pounds over rough and mountainous terrain for 5-10 miles per day; being able to perform upper body tasks such as belaying or guiding a whitewater rafting trip; camping outdoors for extended periods of time in a variety of environmental conditions such as cold, heat, rain, lightning, etc.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. SOAR, Inc. provides equal opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
TO APPLY: Complete a staff application on-line at http://soarnc.org/about-soar/employment-opportunities/ or contact Andrea Wackerle, SOAR, PO Box 388, Balsam, NC 28707, (828) 456-3435, [email protected].