CHYC has two openings for the summer of 2023. As one of two stewards, you would be a central part of the summer experience for families who cherish this part of the world and every sort of sailing. We are a small club in Brooklin, a small town on the eastern edge of Penobscot Bay that is also home to the WoodenBoat School. The club’s fleet consists mostly of traditional wooden sailboats, including Herreshoff 12½s and Beetle Cats; the sailing classes generally use Optis, Beetle Cats, or 420s. The first week of teaching would be to local students who can sign up free of charge through our Community Sailing program.
Job Responsibilities. Together, the stewards will:
• Teach sailing lessons to kids aged 8-16, beginner through advanced
• Conduct club races most Wednesday and Saturday afternoons
• Assist with boats landing at the dock whenever possible
• Supervise one overnight campout on an island
• Keep clubhouse tidy and boats in order
• Certification: US Sailing Small Boat Level 1 Instructor certification strongly encouraged. We can reimburse your costs for courses completed before the club opens
• Maturity: keep lessons fun while maintaining appropriate boundaries and keeping kids safe around boats and club
• Expertise: sailing and racing small boats
• Experience: driving Whaler-type motorboats
• 6 days a week, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, plus an occasional after-hours evening activity
• Approximately 10 weeks (The club will officially open June 19, and the season’s final race will be on August 19.)
• Depending on your experience level, between $600 and $650 per week
• There is a modest free bunkroom, bathroom, and kitchen at the club for you to use during the season
Check out our website at chycinfo.com for more information and centerharboryachtclub on Instagram.