MAGIKEERING, HUMAN DEVELOPMENT, & LIVING IN NATURE AT AUGUSTA!
If you are seeking an extraordinary summer of personal and professional growth, welcome… we are seeking you, too! Camp Augusta is an 80 acre, non-profit, residential summer camp located in the Sierra Nevada mountains of Northern California, and offers a one-of-a-kind experience for campers and staff alike.
The nearest town in Nevada City, about a 15 minute drive from camp. We are approximately an hour from Sacramento and Tahoe, and about 3 hours due east of San Francisco.
ABOUT CAMP AUGUSTA
People can have a job, a career, or a calling. Camp Augusta is looking for folks who have a calling. A summer in the woods with us is centered around two primary pillars:
- An incredible amount of FUN. Camp Augusta’s engine runs on a potent fuel of imagination, creativity, intentionality, dreams, and saying ‘yes’. Campers and staff work together to create unique experiences that are unmatched in inventive inspiration!
- Meaningful GROWTH. We are fully invested in supporting the development of empathy, self-confidence, independence, social skills (EQ), and creativity within all of our campers (ages 7-16). Staff will learn an enormous amount about living in community, transferable communication skills, time management, program development, and themselves throughout their time at Camp Augusta.
If you absolutely love spending time nurturing your youthfulness by playing with and supporting kids; are jazzed about being an integral part of a close-knit, intentional community of staff; and get goosebumps of delight thinking about truly transformational growth and learning opportunities, we may be a great fit!
THE EMPLOYEE EXPERIENCE
We’ll be the first to say it… working at Camp Augusta is a horse of a different color! We offer a HUGE range of daily activities and will train you to lead them prior to and during the summer – some you’ve seen at other camps, others which are rare indeed. The variety you can experience throughout the summer and even within a single day is notable. We are also constantly adding new programming ideas, so if you have a passion that is not yet represented at Augusta, you can help bring it to our camp!
From the moment you begin your application, you’ll notice that we are looking to get to know you in a very deep and very real way. This epitomizes our community… we are seekers, constantly bringing attention and awareness to possibilities for growth. Our staff training, at three and a half weeks, is longer than any other that we know of in the country – much of it is centered around child development, healthy counseling techniques, and communication tools like NVC. We embody this love of presence with our campers and staff, planting seeds of growth that can extend far beyond a summer at camp.
Imagine yourself growing and stretching in ways you’ve never considered before. Imagine meeting the daily challenges of counseling and mentoring children with your full heart and the support of your staff community. Imagine singing songs around a campfire under the towering pines and glittering stars, reconnecting with a mission of fostering the beauty, awe, potential, and innocence of childhood…
Learn more about the staff experience by exploring this page on our website!
Augustans are folks who are internally motivated and inspired to lead powerful lives of service and integrity. Because of the highly rigorous experience of counseling and living in community at Camp Augusta, we look for the following qualities in our staff:
- LOVES working with kids. Gains energy from the experience.
- Revels in opportunities for creativity, imagination, and play
- Abundant energy – physical and emotional
- Openminded, flexible, adventurous, and easy-going
- Active facilitators of goodwill, positivity, and optimism
- High emotional intelligence, depth, and desire to continue to grow in this realm
- Insatiable curiosity about the world, themselves, and brings a growth mindset to life
- Celebrates being part of a close-knit community – the joys and challenges!
ROOM AND BOARD
Rustic housing is available for all staff – typically an open-air cabin, platform tent, yurt, or treehouse. Our food is exceptional… it is largely organic and is all made from scratch. If food is your thing, please read more about how we do our food deliciousness here.
Some of the perks of joining our crew include:
- Family of fellow staff members from all over the world
- Unlimited opportunity for personal and professional growth
- Experience teaching a huge range of amazing activities
- A summer spent outdoors – fresh air, stargazing, campfires, wilderness trips, river adventures, and more
- Communal computers for checking personal email, etc. on time off
GETTING HERE AND GETTING AROUND
There is parking available for staff who choose to drive to Camp Augusta. For those flying into the area, we’ll arrange to pick you up and drop you off from the Sacramento airport. We’ve also got shared camp vehicles for general use during time off.
Working at a summer camp involves long days full of different activities, adventures, joy, and challenges. It can be exhausting, and one of the most rewarding and memorable work experiences possible. At Camp Augusta, working hard is often equivalent to playing hard… nearly everything we do here revolves around tapping our collective creativity to inspire the members of our community with fun-filled experiences.
In the course of a single day, you may wake your campers up with a 70s-themed dance party; sing songs with other staff at breakfast; exchange life stories with campers while zip lining 80 feet above the ground; smear oatmeal on your fellow staff members’ faces; play the role of a space vampire in a camp-wide game; and canoe into the middle of Lake Vera for stargazing.
The days here are incredibly full of wonder and surprises. What fun will you bring with you to Augusta?
Summer job openings include male and female Counselors for children 8-16 years old, Village Leaders, Food Services & Kitchen Team, an Arts Director; Puppet Master, Master of Fun & Games (large-scale game/logistics coordination); and a Wilderness Trips Leader. You’ll enjoy delicious, organic, handmade meals; an incredible array of activities and character-driven games; and meaningful opportunities to learn about and understand child development in the most fun ways imaginable