Nuhop is one of Ohio’s foremost Outdoor Education Centers. Our Center integrates Ohio Department of Education academic content standards and Common Core into our curriculum. We conduct an in-depth needs assessment with each school we serve. This assessment allows us to collaborate with teachers and administrators in creating a unique program for each individual school. We target the needs and abilities of each student and each school’s specific culture and curricular requirements. Our distinctive program provides an exceptional balance between experiential, outdoor and environmental education philosophies. We focus on academic and interpersonal skills in an outdoor classroom where students learn from the natural world. We believe that children should experience a safe, healthy outdoor education setting in which to develop a sense of community.
Nuhop is located in the heart of The Mohican Valley near Perrysville, Ohio. Our Center borders The Mohican State Forest, which expands our outdoor classroom to include Mohican’s 5,000 acres of forest, ravines, rivers and open prairie. Nuhop has a private beach on Pleasant Hill Lake which is great for canoeing and aquatic lessons.
We are associated with EECO (Environmental Education Council of Ohio) and ACCT (Association for Challenge Course Technology).
Outcomes of Nuhop’s Outdoor Education Programs include but are not limited to:
- Academic Content Standards are emphasized through hands-on outdoor education experiences.
- Students become aware and more knowledgeable about the natural world.
- Encourages students to be responsible as they respect, care for and appreciate the environment and their peers.
- Students are encouraged to be responsible as they respect, care for and appreciate the environment and their peers.
- An increase in self-awareness and confidence
- Common experiences that build rapport amongst students as well as between students and teachers.
Nuhop, the home of Camp Nuhop, has provided Experiential Education Programs since 1974. Nuhop is a 501 c 3 organization, began as a residential summer camp for children with special needs, including but not limited to: learning disabilities, ADD, ADHD, Asperger’s Syndrome, and behavioral disorders. Since 1974, NCEL has grown into a professional training and educational center that provides summer programs for children with special needs, residential outdoor education, professional development workshops for educators, teambuilding programs for schools and colleges and corporate team development program for organizations throughout the United States.