KAYAKING/NATURALIST GUIDE POSITION IN YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK with SHURR ADVENTURES
2018 Kayaking in Yellowstone National park this Summer on lake Yellowstone with the Shurr’s . WAGES/PAY:$150 to 300/ day+tips and most weekends off to stay and play in Jackson Hole and the surrounding area.
Join Shurr Adventures Kayaking and Hiking company in Yellowstone National Park (based in Jackson Hole) a small family business seeking kayaking guides who are experienced kayak guides,fun, who are safe, humble, team players, enthusiastic, can take direction and are personable people, to lead small groups and private kayaking and hiking Eco-trips in Yellowstone National Park this upcoming Summer June 1st until Sept 1. As guides for over 20 years all over the country we think this job is an opportunity of a lifetime and a great way to learn from a company that treats are guides like family. We are the smallest and one of the busiest companies with the best kayaking gear on the water.
Dates are flexible for the right candidate.
In the winter months, Nov. 1st to May 1st Shurr Adventures heads back to Florida to lead kayaking tours in Everglades National Park. The right candidate or candidates who are hired in Yellowstone and does a great job in the summer would have an opportunity to work in Everglades National Park as a kayak guide (if he or she wants to). This is a great and fast way to learn, guide, and gain invaluable experience in two of the best national parks in the United States, without having to apply twice. For budding guides, naturalists, biologists, and people wanting to work in the National Parks as a ranger or a long term outdoor job, this is a great way to make your resume look very attractive for the future and to gain great connections throughout the outdoor guiding industry and National Park systems. For seasoned guides there is room for fast growth into management positions if desired.
The proper candidate must have outdoor guiding experience as a raft guide, sea kayak guide, hiking guide or other outdoor guiding positions and/or a college degree in geography, biology, geology, or another related field.
We are looking for guides who enjoy spotting wildlife and teaching guests about the Yellowstone ecosystem in a safe and fun way. As a kayaking and hiking guide, you will be dealing with the many elements of Yellowstone and this job is not for the faint of heart or inexperienced sea kayakers.
About our Company and What to Expect We are a small family company that has been around for 13 years. We have both been guides for around 20 years each as hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, photography and class v river rafting guides. We are looking for the right person(s) to help represent our company the way we have done for years as we continue to grow. We have the smallest group to guide ratio, which helps with customer safety, experience, and great tips for the guides. After the guides are comfortable and fully trained a lot of days it will be just you and your guests on a tour.
- Must have a First Aid certificate or receive one before you start, preference will be given to people with a Wilderness First Aid or First Responder.
- Must be able to multi-task (a.k.a answer guest questions while ensuring group safety and be able to spot wildlife).
- College Degree or sea kayaking guiding experience. It’s a plus to have any of these listed degrees Biology, Ecology, Natural Sciences, Education, Outdoor Education, Geography or any other related degree.
- Must be a birder or interested in learning. (A plus if you know common Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem birds and their calls)
- Must be able to study on your own the whole season and keep learning
- Must be able to back up a 15 passenger van and a kayak trailer or willing to learn quickly 🙂
- Must be able to kayak for 8 hours in a day and paddle around 6 to 12 miles daily and for oure hiking tours 6 to 8 miles hiking a day.
- Must be in good physical condition and able to lift 60 to 80lbs a lot every day
- Must know how to read a map, compass, and chart
- Must be able to follow directions.
- Must be organized and punctual
- Must have a clean driving record.
- Must be patient, kind, and customer service orientated.
- Must be able to tolerate dry heat, 32 degrees and lower, animals that want to hurt you, biting insects, whining kids, or adults 🙂
- Must be an outdoor adventurer who likes sharing the natural world with people.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Be able to work some weekends (but guides get two days off in a row)
More than anything must be fun, happy, trustworthy, easy to work with and represent Shurr Adventures the way we have for 13 years.
Pay is $125 per half day tour (3 1/2 hours paddle time) and $150 for a full day trip (5 hours). Many days are two half day trips or a full day and then a sunset tour (half day). With the service that we provide, our guides have been very happy with their tips.
There are one to two positions available so couples that can work together and don’t mind having different days off during busy season (you will only get maybe one or two days off together a month) feel free to apply. We also invite friends or co-workers from the same company who work well together to apply as well. If you don’t have any real guiding experience yet please don’t apply, we don’t want to waste your time. The water is very cold and can become very dangerous for inexperienced people. Must have a reliable vehicle. Please do not call if you want to be considered Thanks so much for taking the time to look at our job. Alli and Justin Shurr