Boys Outdoor Leadership Development (BOLD) is an outdoor education program of the Metrocenter YMCA that develops multi-cultural leadership skills in young men through wilderness experience. Our 5 to 16 day backpacking, rock climbing, and mountaineering expeditions provide an opportunity for young men from different economic, ethnic, religious and social backgrounds to build multi-cultural leadership, communication, and decision making skills through shared challenges, problem solving, and fun. We believe that BOLD addresses a need in our community for:
- Emotionally intelligent programming for boys.
- An authentic and celebrated rite of passage event from adolescence to man hood.
- An emotionally and physically safe place where boys from different backgrounds can gather.
- Opportunities to develop the multi-cultural leadership and communication skills needed to be successful in an increasingly globalized world.
- A place where boys can find glory, be of service, be allies to others and feel needed.
- Affordable Outdoor Education.
The BOLD Vision: To create a world where young men have the emotional intelligence, courage, and compassion to be positive multi-cultural leaders in their communities.
The BOLD Mission: To use wilderness experience and challenge to create emotionally and physically safe spaces where boys from different backgrounds can communicate and develop to their fullest leadership potential.