Lead Guide - Outdoor Educator (Bay Area, CA)
Trackers Earth is a youth organization founded on the idea that kids can navigate real challenges, truly contribute, and develop the grit and character they need! We guide kids to learn wilderness survival, farm craft, and mariners skills while creating immersive camps and programs with epic story adventure.
Your job? As a Lead Guide you take kids on outdoor adventures learning incredible skills. You may take kids fishing, embark on a wilderness survival trek, or even help create a story camp adventure with secret agents, wizards, or elves. This role is designed for individuals who want to teach outdoors. Lead Guides teach and supervise teams and campers. They implement and innovate on Trackers curriculum.
- $17.25 - 18.25 per hour (average day is 7 - 8.25 hours)
- Pay Add-On - CDL Class B (passenger endorsement) $1.50 per hour
- Training is at local minimum wage
This is a temporary seasonal position. Year-round opportunities may be available based on seasonal summer performance and fall enrollment. Summer Guides must be available for all specified dates.
- Summer Camps Full-time, June - September (Monday - Friday)
- School Year Programs Part-time
Depending on your skill sets and interest, you could be an educator in any of the following:
- Real Outdoor Skills for Early Childhood (Grade K-1)
- Stealth, Archery & Wilderness Survival (Grade 2-5 or 6-12)
- Animals, Farms & Wild Crafts (Grade 2-5 or 6-12)
- Fishing, Boats & Foraging (Grade 2-5 or 6-12)
- Spies, Wizards, Elves, Treasure Hunters & Dinosaurs (Grade 2-5 or 6-8)
- Sailing, Canoeing & Kayaking (Grade 2-12)
- Climbing, Search & Rescue or Paintball (Grade 6-12)
- Blacksmithing, Ceramics, Woodworking or Photography (Grade 2-5 or 6-12)
- Overnight Residential Camps or Expeditions (Grade 4-5 or 6-12)
- Provide fun, engaging, and safe experiences for program participants and co-workers.
- Encourage competent and safe independence in youth that aligns with Trackers Teams format.
- Ensure activities for each age group are developmentally appropriate and engaging.
- Implement Trackers Core and Guild elements and Core Program Schedule. Be a mentor and remember what it’s like to be a kid.
- Administer risk management and governance frameworks, as well as Trackers Earth policies across all teams and locations.
- Lead teams of youth in proper usage of program gear. Create a culture of effective organizational tidiness.
- Internalize all assigned developmental content, integrating it into Guide and mentoring programs.
- Fulfill assigned duties in an emergency situation.
- Maintain and safeguard confidential information.
- 2+ years of general work history.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgement in remote locations.
- Enthusiastic interest in education or Outdoor Education as a profession.
- Proven ability to coordinate and plan for complex logistics, flexibility in working with challenges.
- Able to act as a role model and support the culture of the Trackers Code and Trackers Elements (outdoor skills) with youth.
- Posses grit, becoming more calm and creative, not emotional, when challenged.
- Model professionalism while supporting youth, families, colleagues, and supervisors.
- Ability to continuously stand, hike backcountry terrain on and off-trail, bend, squat, climb stairs/hills, lift up to 50 lbs.
- Completed Vaccinations for COVID-19 (verification required)
- CPR/First Aid/Anaphylaxis & Epinephrine Auto-Injector certified (or ability to complete before position begins).
- Training - Child Abuse Mandated Reporter Training - General (CA)
- Food handlers certified (or ability to complete before position begins).
- State fishing license.
- Pre-employment checks (completed by Trackers): criminal background & references.
- Optional - Pay Add-On CDL Class B (passenger endorsement) - $1.50 per hour. We can help you get this.
We are committed to being fair in how we pay. Summer rates of compensation are transparent, and fixed, so you can be assured Trackers Earth provides equal pay for equal roles and responsibilities. Compensation from a position’s base rate relies on documented licenses and work history.
Since 2004, kids and extended families in all their forms have journeyed on adventures with Trackers Earth and our Guides. We share the Arts of Tracking through stewardship and enduring outdoor skills. We commit to developing opportunity by respecting the diverse cultures and values of every Guide, youth, and family serving with us. We endeavor to grow with families for the increased accessibility of these experiences. We define ourselves by an ever deeper kinship to the more than human world, multi-generational character, and the principles discovered and found in the quietest moments with the forest.
Be able to report to any Bay Area worksite in El Cerrito, Alameda, Hayward, Sebastopol, or Sonoma County.