Marketing and Sales Assistant Director and Guide
Based in Sandpoint, Idaho…Breakwater Expeditions operates 1-2 week-long backcountry water-based wilderness trips in Prince William Sound, Alaska; Exuma Cays, Bahamas; Everglades, Florida; Upper Missouri River, Montana; Big Bend, Texas; Green River, Utah; San Juan Islands, Washington, Yellowstone, and the Yukon River, Yukon Territory. Our trips are a majority of sea kayaking, river canoeing, and backpacking. We average 20-25 trips a year. We desire to double this number with this Marketing and Sales position.
Breakwater Expeditions specializes in creating custom outdoor programming for traditional and therapeutic schools and programs, non-profits, and other entities that share a common thread. In addition, Breakwater also offers therapeutic single and multi-family private trips. With this being said, we have a wide range of clientele that creates for ever-changing populations and programming and needs.
Job Position Overview:
The Marketing and Sales Assistant Director position is designed for someone with marketing and/or a sales background. Preferably this background involves experiences, trips, or the outdoor recreational industry. This person will have a strong passion and enthusiasm for connecting people and groups to the outdoors. The ideal candidate will be able to represent, sell, and positively promote Breakwater Expedition to a wide range of clientele. The ideal candidate will be flexible, creative, and dynamic in their sales and marketing skills.
We are rapidly growing our client base and increasing our number of trips each year. This self-driven candidate will be able to implement systems for managing our growth and reaching our goals. This person will carry a high level of self-confidence, is outgoing, sensitive, and desires a level of freedom within their position to grow personally and professionally. This candidate is able to create a personal relationship with potential partners and clients as well as maintaining relationships with our current clientele.
The ideal candidate will also be able to wear multiple hats within our growing business. This includes being a guide on our trips as well as when in the office being tasked with administrative and managerial duties, trip planning, project management, and more.
Duties include but not limited to:
- Create and implement marketing strategies to meet the goals of BWE.
- Travel domestically and internationally. Having a passport is highly recommended.
- Knowledge in the following areas or equivalent: Email blast marketing (Mailchimp), Website maintenance (SquareSpace), Social Media Platforms (LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook), content creation, digital and print materials for conferences and other events, video conferencing calls, webinars, Mac computers and Apple products are helpful.
- Meet demands of our high seasons and client needs.
- Effectively communicate our mission and our offerings to potential clientele and collaborate with like-minded partners in our industry to enhance our programming.
- Available during the workday and weekends to be the Manager on Call for Expeditions, check in’s and Emergencies.
- Create content for newsletters, social marketing posts, videos, blogs, etc. as we grow our brand. Exceptional writing and editing skills is a plus.
- Attend events locally and throughout the country to promote BWE. This would include conferences for a variety of audiences.
- Build rapport quickly and easily using various forms of communication (phone calls, emails, face to face, videos).
Preferred Knowledge and Skills:
- Communicate effectively and support the Breakwater team.
- Demonstrate a propensity for self-leadership as well as laughter.
- Knowledge and understanding of the benefits and outcomes that community, nature, and the outdoors can have on individuals, groups, and society.
- Strong organizational skills, public speaking ability, journalistic writing and creativity, attention to detail, and follow up skills.
- Comfort in working with others in situations that have little routine or structure.
- Ability to work within a team as well as independently.
- Excellent customer service skills and proper entertaining etiquette.
Guide Role Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Guiding 6-10 Expeditions a year.
- Plan, manage and execute logistics (i.e. food, itinerary, equipment organization/planning, etc…)
- When appropriate, plan, manage and execute programming needs.
- When required make pre-trip participant calls as well as facilitate group video conferencing with participants and staff to prep clients for an upcoming trip.
- Ability to work and assist clients in staying healthy, safe, and comfortable in varying climates.
- Manage emergency situation and adhere to all operating procedures, safety policies, and emergency response plan as outlined within the staff manual.
- Provide clear and effective communication with Breakwater Management and Staffing Team.
- Drive a 15 passenger van and fully loaded trailer.
- Able to work potential holiday breaks.
- Certifications desired: CPR at the minimum and we strongly desire WFA or WFR, valid driver’s license.
Benefits & Perks:
- Opportunity to go to destinations that very few people get to experience!
- Vacation time to be determined.
- Unlimited un-paid vacation days with prior approval.
- Various pro-deals.
- Living and breathing North Idaho air and landscape.
- Schweitzer Mountains Ski Resort is 20 minutes from our office.
- Being able to create and modify your position and support the further growth of a small business. Many opportunities for growth personally and professionally.
This is a salaried position. Salary will be dependent upon the level of education, experience, and skills.