Photography and Social Media Intern
Summer 2022 (May 29th- August 20th)
Photography Interns travel with camps as observers and work from base camp during their time not traveling. They stay in staff housing in Bangor at our summer location. These positions are vital to our summer marketing and the future of our image. Projects are taking photos specific and non-specific, editing, a compilation of photos, maintaining Google Photos for parents, and others. These staff are supervised by our Director.
Please see our Field Experience Guide for more information.
● All Interns attend three weeks of paid adventure planning training in various areas around Maine, prior to the beginning of the camp season. This on-site, experiential training includes camping, backpacking, camp cooking, skills demonstrations, yoga practice, practical scenarios in first aid and risk management, and a review of camper files, permits, maps, menus and itineraries.
● Photography Interns will stay in the field for much of the summer, with Saturday evenings off in various places of Maine.
● There may be availability for flexible dates.
- Help Director to manage the photos that come from camps including the photos you take.
- Under Director supervision- post to social media for the summer including stories, reels, IG TV, YouTube videos, and Facebook posts.
- Maintain a constant awareness of trip leaders and campers to capture brave and authentic moments of campers.
- Assess and manage environmental and human risks
- Assist with wilderness care should the moment arise
- Complete written reports and co-staff evaluations
- Maintain a background appearance to get candid shots of campers and staff
● Minimum age of 18 years
● Completed at least 1 year of college
● Clean driving record and clean criminal background record
● Previous experience in the outdoors as you will be traveling with some camps
● Previous experience with youth outdoor education and leadership
● Fun, funny, and fun lovin' attitude
● $3600 for internship duration- 12 weeks
● Travel Stipend of $200 paid before the start of the summer
● Access to pro deals and gear discounts
Applicants must be physically able to perform the following:
● Hike up to 10 miles at elevations up to 8,000 feet
● Traverse uneven terrain that could include gravel, dirt, mud, snow and ice
● Hike quickly for up to 10 miles in emergency situations
● Live and work in a setting with variable weather conditions
● Move and/or lift up to 60 pounds; load and unload equipment/packs from vehicles
● Reach, climb, grasp, push and pull above and below shoulder levels; squat and bend
Applicants must possess the following mental and emotional requirements:
● Emotional stability and maturity
● Promptness, reliability, and trustworthiness
● Ability to communicate effectively with supervisor, co-workers, campers, contract outfitters/vendors, and parents
● Ability to work successfully with people from diverse backgrounds
● Ability to self-motivate and make independent decisions
● Flexibility, spontaneity, and the ability to respond quickly and appropriately to camper needs, daily program needs,
and emergency situations
● Ability to model and teach safety and risk management
● Ability to organize and recall facts, figures and information
● Ability to concentrate, focus, and accurately and efficiently perform required tasks
Applicants must be tolerant of the following environmental exposures:
● Potentially hot, cold, wet, dry and humid weather
● Variable and potentially extreme temperature conditions, depending on elevation, time of day, and season (June-August)
● Potential exposure to toxic substances (i.e. bleach, petroleum vehicle fuel)
● Potential exposure to natural disasters such as fire, flood, earthquake, landslide, or heavy snow
● Potential exposure to dust, pollen, poison oak, and a variety of animals, plants, bees and insects
This internship requires the use of a camera and a computer. She Summits Co has Go Pros and a digital camera available for your use. If you have a preference to use your camera then we can reimburse for a "rental" fee through the company so that you can use your camera. We highly encourage you to bring your computer with software you like for editing any photos. We have a Chromebook available for social media posting and uploads if needed.
- Opportunities for other pay include weekend duty with campers $150 a weekend, subbing on adventures for trip leaders time off $50 for overnight, $15 an hr during the day, post-camp internships, and pre-camp internships $300 a week.
- Two Days a week or more off of work to explore Maine on your own or with other staff.
- Free Staff Uniforms ( two T-shirts, Long sleeve shirt, Fleece)
- Free Airport Pick-Up or Pick-Up from anywhere in Maine
- Free Housing- shared house with staff
- Free Food- that you like, we buy groceries based on a staff grocery list, not a meal plan.
- Free Excursions
- Free Training- WFR offered and Maine Trip Leader Training
- Future Job References- we write thoughtful and professional references for entrance into the outdoor industry
Equal Opportunity Employer
She Summits Co, LLC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status. This policy applies to any employee, applicant, or camp participant.
We have 2 positions for Photography and Social Media Interns available.
Please reach out to Amanda Hatley ([email protected](link sends e-mail) or call 207-956-0605), our Director, to make sure that your internship is a fit with our program before applying. Then, create an account and fill out the application linked about. If you have questions feel free to reach out to Amanda.