Camp Nor’wester is an outdoor residential camp where children gain significant skills and insights in a caring and supportive atmosphere, taking advantage of the Pacific Northwest’s coastal character, through a program that is characterized by a commitment to:
- Develop a child’s maturity and a positive self-image.
- Provide programming that holds the physical and emotional safety of the child as a paramount concern.
- Teach children skills and values about responsibility for one’s self, others, and the environment.
- Provide a community where diversity, tolerance, and compassion are valued, respected, and promoted.
- Provide a positive outdoor group living experience that helps children develop the skills necessary for productive group and interpersonal interaction.
- Provide an experience for children that is challenging, rewarding, memorable, and fun.
Mission Statement: Camp Nor’wester provides a unique outdoor living experience where a diverse group of young people is challenged to develop skills that increase self-confidence and encourage respect, responsibility and compassion for themselves, their community and the environment.
Camp Nor’wester serves youth ages 9-16 with a four-week camp experience in the San Juan Islands of Washington State. Programming includes Waterfront, Crafts, Challenge Course, Climbing, Music, Outdoor Cooking, Garden, Archery, Drama and Nature activities, as well as Outcamp Trips of Mountaineering, Biking, Sailing, Backpacking, Kayaking and Canoeing. We hire 90 seasonal staff each summer to support our programs.