Founded in 1986, North Cascades Institute is the Northwest’s leader in field-based environmental education. Focusing on natural and cultural history, our mission is to conserve and restore Northwest environments through education. Teaching all ages, we offer seminars and retreats; school programs, summer youth adventures and family getaways; teacher education and internships; volunteer stewardship programs; a graduate M.Ed. in environmental education; and custom programs.
In early summer 2005, we will open North Cascades Environmental Learning Center in North Cascades National Park. The Institute will operate the Learning Center in cooperation with the City of Seattle and the National Park Service. Modeling earth-friendly design and operations, the tree-sheltered campus features 16 buildings clustered along Diablo Lake about three hours northeast of Seattle. Facilities include:
– Multimedia classrooms, a research library and aquatic and terrestrial labs
– Overnight lodging for 46 participants and 12 graduate students and staff
– A lakeside dining hall with a recycling/composting center
– An amphitheater, outdoor learning shelters and trails leading into the surrounding wildlands
– A dock on Diablo Lake for paddling adventures
– ADA-accessible facilities and paths along the lakeshore and nearby Deer Creek